Know More About Malignant Mesothelioma
Malignant Mesothelioma is a kind of cancer that develops in the thin layers of the tissues of the mesothelium. It is usually the innermost lining that lines the internal orga s of the body. This type of cancer is an aggressive and deadly form of cancer that affects most of the body parts. It can spread to other places if not treated on time.
- Generally, the genetic mutations caused in the cells of the area cause the rapid multiplication of the cells and they grow out of control. These cells grow uncontrollably and lead to the formation of a mass or tumor. Several other factors like environment, hereditary factors, lifestyle changes, and health conditions as well.
- Apart from this, the asbestos exposure can act as a riskm factor for malignant mesothelioma. The asbestos fibres may go into the air and when inhaled, they lead to development of Irritation and issues in major organs like stomach and lungs. The fibres settle down in the body and can act as a cause for malignant mesothelioma.
- If there has been a personal history or family history of asbestos exposure, it may lead to the development of the disease. Getting in contact with someone who works in direct exposure of the material can lead to the development of cancer as well.
- If an individual has been exposed to radiation therapy for cancer in the chest, it might develop the possibility of risk of getting hut with malignant mesothelioma.
Types of mesothelioma
In the cases of pleural mesothelioma, the cancer cells usually affect the tissues surrounding the lungs and affect the regions around it.
In the cases of peritoneal mesothelioma, the cancer cells develop in the tissues present in the abdomen.
The pericardial mesothelioma affects the tissues or cells that are present in or around the heart. It can lead to issues like chest pains or difficulty in breathing.
Mesothelioma of tunica vaginilis
In such cases, the mesothelioma affects the area around the testicles and are usually observed as a mass or swelling on the testicle.
Signs and Symptoms
- Painful coughing
- Chest pain
- Unusual or uneven lumps under the skin on the chest
- Shortness of breath
- Unintended weight loss
- Abdominal swelling
- Abdominal pain
- Pressure on the spinal cord and chest that leads to painful situations
- Pleural effusion that leads to difficulty in breathing
- Accumulation of fluid in the chest may compress area nearby lungs
The primary form of treatment of mesothelioma is the physical examination of an individual. The doctor usually checks for the signs of the lumps, masses or any unusual swelling. Also, the medical and family history of the patient is taken. Any kind of previous illness can help in determining the cause or relevance of the existing infection.
To see if the cancer has spread to other parts of the body or the effect of tumors on the target area, the doctor can ask for Xrays, computerized tomography (CT scan) of the abdomen or the chest, and many others as well. These tests are performed to look for abnormalities if any.
It is a common procedure performed nowadays that involves removing a small amount of tissue of the suspected area as a sample to be tested and analyzed in the laboratory. The doctor can insert a needle through the skin to take a sample or to remove the fluud accumulated.
If an operation or surgery is being performed, at that time also the surgeon can collect the sample by making a minor incision. Usually a scope or a tube is inserted that is equipped with camera and medical tools to help.the specialists analyze the functioning of the body internally.
The samples collected are then looked under a microscope and can be looked upon to detect the presence of cancer cells if any.
Side effects of the treatments
- Targeted drug therapy can lead to issues like mouth sores, changes in nails, increased blood pressure, problems in wound healing and blood clotting, skin problems like dry skin, rashes, and fatigue.
- Immunotherapy may also lead to issues like chills, fever, dizziness, weakness, headache, fatigue, pain in joints or muscles, bleeding, swelling of affected area, and several others.
- Radiotherapy may lead to issues like skin changes, diarrhea, loss of hairs, feeling weak and tired most of the time, urinary and the bladder problems, difficulties in swallowing, shortness of breath, gum and mouth sores, or stiff joints and muscles.
- Chemotherapy can lead to issues like tiredness, headache, nausea, Vomiting, appetite changes, Constipation, infections, hair loss, easy bruising or bleeding, and several others.
Usually, when the cancer is diagnosed at an early stage, it leads to its removal by the doctors. In the cases of pleural mesothelioma, the fluid build in the membranes can lead to issues like difficulties in breathing. To treat this issue, the doctors use a catheter to treat the fluid being formed in the chest.
Also, some medication or drugs can be injected to prevent the fluid from recurring.
The specialists can also remove the tissue that lines the lungs and the ribs. This process is termed pleurectomy. It helps in reducing the signs and symptoms of the cancer. Sometimes, some part of the affected lung is also removed by the doctors to provide relief to the patient.
Along with the treatments, chemotherapy and radiotherapy can also be performed to eliminate the signs of cancer cells completely.
Targeted Drug Therapy
In the case of targeted drug therapy, the treatment focuses on the weakness or abnormalities of the cancer cells. The drugs used block such weaknesses of the cancer cells and kills them. This treatment is combined with chemotherapy to treat the malignant mesothelioma.
During a Radiation therapy, the doctor uses high energy beams like xrays or the protons to target the cancer cells and destroy them. During the procedure, the patient is made to lie on a platfrom and the machine containing radioactive materials is moved around the body. It reaches out to cancer cells in the body and helps in their destruction. Another method is that a small device is placed inside the body and it keeps on radiating the energy beams to kill the cancer cells.
Immunotherapy aims to focus on the immune system of the patient and strengthening it to the maximum extent to fight with the cancer cells. The cancer cells produce a protein that lets them hide from normal and healthy immune cells. The procedure of immunotherapy deals and interferes with this process to boost the immunity levels of the body.
Chemotherapy is a method of treatment that uses certain drugs to kill the cancer cells. These drugs or medications can be taken through the vein in the arm or through a pill as well. This treatment is either combined with the other treatments like surgery or can also be administered individually. It can also be combined with targeted drug therapy as well.
Why rely on Ayurveda?
Ayurveda is a traditional and ancient system of medicine that emerged in India. In Ayurveda, the condition of malignant mesothelioma is termed Arbuda. The cancer causes an imbalance in the doshas namely Kapa, Vitta, and Kapha. It creates malfunctioning in the body. According to Ayurveda, the doshas need to be balanced in order to remain free from diseases and fatal infections. The biological cycle of the body needs to be maintained as such by the individual.
A lot of herbs are known to be useful and beneficial in the process of dealing with the signs and symptoms of cancer. The Ayurvedic medicines and the herbal extracts do not have any kind of chemicals in them. These help to remove toxins from the body and purify it completely. Also, the natural ingredients help in enhancing the life expectancy of the people. The purest of herbs and their combinations are prepared under the supervision and guidance of the Ayurvedic experts.
The medicines could be taken in the form of pills, powders, or both. Guggul is an important element in the field of Ayurveda as it possesses the anti cancerous properties. It helps in limiting or cutting the growth of the tumor cells in the body. Tulsi is also effective in reducing the pain and discomfort as it has immunodulatory properties. Several other herbs like Ashawagandha, Neem, and Haridra are known to be effective in dealing with such issues.